Saturday, July 13, 2013

Palma de Mallorca (and Soller by train!)

The second stop on our cruise was the island of Mallorca (Majorca). We took an electric train ride over the mountains to Soller and a little cable car to its port. The train made a stop at a scenic viewpoint so that we could get off and take pictures. We spent most of the day eating lunch and wandering around the pretty little port of Soller. 

Train to Soller
 Train to Soller Train to Soller
Train to Soller
Mallorca
Mallorca
Mallorca
Mallorca
Mallorca
Mallorca
Mallorca
Mallorca
Soller Soller
Soller
Port of Soller
Port of Soller
Port of Soller
Port of Soller Port of Soller
Port of Soller
Port of Soller
Port of Soller Palma de Mallorca

We caught a bus back to Palma and stepped into the walled Arabic baths. It was such a pretty area inside and I have since decided that I would also like a walled garden attached to some ruins. There are ruins in America, right?

Palma Arabic Baths
Palma Arabic Baths
Palma Arabic Baths
Palma Arabic Baths
Palma Arabic Baths

After that we made a quick stop to the famous Palma Cathedral. It is quite large. The cathedral was built by King James I of Aragon. The legend (relayed to me by Forrest) is that the king and his men were sailing on when a huge storm formed and ravaged his ship. King James swore that if God would bring him to land, he would build the biggest cathedral that Europe had ever seen. Surely enough, they made it through the storm, landed at Palma, and the king kept his promise.

Palma de Mallorca Cathedral
Palma de Mallorca Cathedral
Palma de Mallorca Palma de Mallorca
Palma de Mallorca Cathedral
Palma de Mallorca Cathedral Palma de Mallorca
Palma de Mallorca Cathedral
Palma de Mallorca
Palma de Mallorca

I really enjoyed Mallorca. The streets were so beautiful and we even found free bathrooms on the beach, guys! But really, everything was so lovely. The food was really expensive, but then again it's an island so what can you expect? We also bought a cute little cedar boat carving and I don't actually know where it is right now. Hopefully sometime we can go back to visit Mallorca and go on a cave excursion or something. They have a lot of caves or so I've heard. 

I'm really starting to miss being on a cruise ship right now with its abundance of prepared food everywhere. It doesn't help that I am on day five of a seven day juice fast (if you still haven't seen the documentary Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead, watch it. Watch it right now) and I can't really stop thinking about macaroni and cheese. I even had a dream about it last night. I'm not exactly hungry, per se, I just haven't eaten in five days and I want some good old mac and cheese and is that really so wrong? I'm really glad to be doing this juice fast and I have much better self-control than I ever gave myself credit for. But it's still really hard. 

That was pretty off-topic, but I love food and I don't care who knows.


No comments:

Post a Comment